Current:Home > FinancePhilippine troops kill 9 suspected Muslim militants, including 2 involved in Sunday Mass bombing -Capitatum
Philippine troops kill 9 suspected Muslim militants, including 2 involved in Sunday Mass bombing
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 04:54:29
MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Philippine troops killed nine suspected Muslim militants in the volatile south, including two key suspects in a bomb attack last month that left four Christian worshippers dead, the army said Saturday.
Four army scout rangers were slightly wounded in Thursday’s operation against the Dawlah Islamiyah, a small outfit aligned with the Islamic State group, in the hinterland village of Taporug near Piagapo town in Lanao del Sur province, army spokesman Col. Louie Dema-ala said.
Army forces clashed with about 15 militants in a series of shootouts from Thursday to Friday after some villagers tipped off the military of their presence, Dema-ala, adding that the surviving militants escaped and were being pursued.
Maj. Gen. Gabriel Viray III, an army infantry division commander, said the militants retreated from fierce exchanges of fire until they were trapped in a rural house, where they tried to fight back before being taken down.
“We call upon the community to remain vigilant and collaborate with the army and government authorities as we collectively work towards eliminating the threat posed by local terrorist groups,” the army said in a statement.
Eight of the nine bodies had been identified, including those of Saumay Saiden and Abdul Hadi, who were among the suspects in the Dec. 3 bombing that killed four Christian worshippers and wounded dozens of others during Sunday Mass in a state-run university gymnasium in southern Marawi city, he added.
Hadi allegedly assembled the bomb, which police investigators said consisted of a 60 mm mortar round and a rifle grenade, Dema-ala told reporters.
A post-battle video, which a government intelligence official showed The Associated Press, conveyed nine bodies lying side by side near a huddle of rural huts surrounded by banana trees as army officers examined each.
Military chief of staff, Gen. Romeo Brawner, said “this operation sets a clear precedent: the Armed Forces of the Philippines will not tolerate those who endanger the lives and well-being of our people.”
“The remaining few will face our full force and unshakeable resolve in bringing every single responsible individual to account,” Brawner said.
The southern Philippine region of Mindanao is the homeland of minority Muslims and has been the scene of decades-old separatist rebellions.
The Marawi city bombing in December was the bloodiest insurgency-related violence so far under President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. He blamed “foreign terrorists” for the attack, which set off a security alarm, including in the capital, Manila. Government forces were put on high alert at the time, as the largely Roman Catholic country welcomed the busy Christmas season that marks a festive period of travel, shopping sprees and traffic jams.
The largest armed insurgent group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, signed a 2014 peace deal with the government, considerably easing decades of fighting. But smaller armed groups like the Dawlah Islamiyah rejected the peace pact and have struggled to press on with bombings and other attacks while evading government offensives.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- At risk from rising seas, Norfolk, Virginia, plans massive, controversial floodwall
- LED lights are erasing our view of the stars — and it's getting worse
- ACC adding Stanford, Cal, SMU feels like a new low in college sports
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Former Italian premier claims French missile downed passenger jet in 1980, presses Paris for truth
- India launches spacecraft to study the sun after successful landing near the moon’s south pole
- NASCAR Darlington playoff race 2023: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Southern 500
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Businessman Mohamed Al Fayed, father of Dodi Al Fayed, dead at 94
Ranking
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Deion Sanders' hype train drives unprecedented attention, cash flow to Colorado
- Experts say a deer at a Wisconsin shooting preserve is infected with chronic wasting disease
- Hollywood labor disputes in 'crunch time' amid ongoing strikes, reporter says
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- Glowing bioluminescent waves were spotted in Southern California again. Here's how to find them.
- How billion-dollar hurricanes, other disasters are starting to reshape your insurance bill
- Despite prohibition, would-be buyers trying to snap up land burned in Maui wildfires
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Dying and disabled Illinois prisoners kept behind bars, despite new medical release law
Bachelor Nation’s Gabby Windey Gets Candid on Sex Life With Girlfriend Robby Hoffman
Man gets 2-year prison sentence in pandemic fraud case to buy alpaca farm
American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
New details revealed about woman, sister and teen found dead at remote Colorado campsite
Dozens killed in South Africa as fire guts building many homeless people had moved into
NC State safety Ashford headed back to Raleigh a day after frightening injury